Saturday, April 03, 2010

The little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead

Went to a baby shower today. I don't generally enjoy these affairs, and this one was no different, except that it seemed to mean a lot to the expectant mom -- a coworker -- that I showed up. Since I'm on vacation, this might be the last time I see her before her wee one arrives.

My favorite companion was a lovely toddler girl, all in green and pink, waddling around barefoot and telling everyone "hi." We bonded over a piece of ribbon that had fallen off a package. To be completely honest, I played with her as though she was the kitten she reminded me off, holding the ribbon just a bit out of her reach and encouraging her to "get it, c'mon, get it!" She'd reach up and grab it and laugh. She was a terrific sport. She looked over to me for approval every time she did something adventurous, like laying on the floor and covering herself with her jacket as if it were a blanket. I was completely besotted with her.

There was another little girl at the party, about the same age but nowhere near as charming. Pretty, with a mass of dark curls, and a very bad temper. Her mom and grandma tried to get her to eat fruit and oh, my, she was having none of it. I've never seen such a violent reaction to strawberries! I think I will hear her howls in my sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to play shower games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:37 PM

    I've never been in love with baby showers either, but my mood has changed ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.