Sunday, March 28, 2010

We're a team


My nephew, age 10, enjoys creating artwork. His penmanship is ... well, shoddy. He admits it and is frustrated that adults keep harping on it when all he has to do to get around it is use the keyboard. I'm neither his teacher nor his mother so I'm not prepared to address that. After all, I'm the aunt and we're supposed to have fun together.

I, on the other hand, have never been able to draw for shit.

So when we got together today to create "paper Easter eggs" for my uncle, we teamed up and we split the task -- he was the pictures and I was the words.

First he drew eggs -- three or four per page. Then we talked about our uncle. Since both my nephew and my uncle enjoy looking at coins, examining them for details, he decorated one page of eggs in gold and silver and then I lettered, "Coins are cool." Some eggs were colored to match the fur of his cat, and of my uncle's cat. Both my nephew and my uncle like turtles so there was a turtle egg. You get the idea.

The envelope containing our paper Easter eggs is sealed and I'll drop it in the mailbox tomorrow. So while we won't be with my uncle this Sunday, he'll know he's been in our thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do. He is lucky to have you and will never forget the time you spend with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Most of my students (especially the boys) have HORRIBLE penmanship. It's a lost art, for sure. I don't know if very many of them can write in cursive.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.