Tuesday, August 11, 2009

09 August Happiness Challenge -- Day 11


Tuesday. Hanging around at Sterling Cooper. My oldest friend sent me this absolutely great link that enabled me to create the 1960s-vintage gal you see before you. As you can see, I'm ready to walk onto the set of Mad Men, through the doors of Sterling Cooper, and take my place as the world's most experienced junior copywriter. Here I am, speaking to the client about our new "Jackie vs. Marilyn" Maidenform campaign. I didn't get to work on it, of course. 1960s Madison Avenue men wouldn't trust me with a client as big as Maidenform. But management realizes how effective a female can be presenting the "woman's point of view," so there I am. 

I'm wearing a brooch because I want to "fancy up" my boring work ensemble for the presentation, and women in my social strata, and pay grade, didn't have a lot of choices. I'm holding, but not drinking, the coffee because I'm trying to fit in. And the glasses are because they didn't have extended-wear contacts 45 years ago. (Click on the illustration to see it in greater detail.)

It's been fun to imagine myself back then, and it's made me grateful for the expanded opportunities I enjoy today.

6 comments:

  1. That is very cool! So are you - we shined a spotlight on you today at our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made one too! That was fun. I can't wait until it starts up again!! I'm psyched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is way cool! Mine is total the '50's ... I was only an infant so maybe this was my Mom lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I switched to the 60's lol that was totally cool. I might just do it over and over again lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just followed the madmen link from another blog and made a pic with the same background. LOL. GMTA

    I want to be a big corporate hot shot, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.