Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #101 -- Thirteen Teen Dreams

Not many people remember the name Gloria Stavers, but if you were a girl in junior high school between 1958 and 1975, the odds are good that you were familiar with her work. For those were the years that she was the editor of 16 Magazine, the teen magazine that brought us as close as possible to our heart throbs.16 had the best interviews, and the best, most kissable color pin-ups -- perfect for decorating my locker door and bedroom wall.

Here are 13 of the most prominent boy toys to grace 16's pages during Gloria's time at the helm. I was madly in love with some of them (Paul McCartney, Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy) and a little in love with others (Raider Mark Lindsey). Enjoy this trip down memory lane, and the memories of a simpler time.

WHO WAS YOUR BUBBLEGUM CRUSH? Please let me know in the comments. I'm especially curious about who guys loved, pure and chaste from afar, when they were 11, 12 or 13.

1) Elvis Presley
2) Rick Nelson
3) Paul Petersen
4) Paul Anka
5) The Beatles
6) The Dave Clark 5
7) Herman's Hermits
8) The Monkees
9) Paul Revere and the Raiders
10) The Osmond Brothers
11) The Jackson 5
12) Bobby Sherman
13) David Cassidy


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

13 comments:

  1. LOL I laugh now at how we can get instant news on what our boycrushes (coughCOOKiecough) are doing at any given moment when I remember, like you, back in the day. Man, we had to wait and wait for our 16 and Tiger Beat magazines!! :) I knew much more than I ever wanted to know about dating a Mormon boy!

    My heart truly only belongs to guys named David, apparently. I was as into David Cassidy as one person could be at 10 years old. I've seen him 3x in concert (even as recently as 2003!) and adored him. (He put on a great show, btw.) Do you remember when DC was on the cover of Rolling Stone and inside was a "semi-nude" picture of him (it only showed the happy trail and not even much of that) but it was so scandalous at the time???

    Even though I owned some Osmond albums, I was never into them. (YEY for me!)

    (Sad to say, I knew the name of the editor of that magazine. How come I can't remember really important things like David Cook's shoe size? Oh wait, it's 13. Hubba Hubba!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list of people there. It makes me want to chew some bubblegum again :-)

    My T-13

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy.....do I remember each and every one of them. Paul Peterson's smile was a heart wrencher for me. Whoa!!!! [I watched Donna Reed just for him, of course]

    My thirteen is posted. Come visit and view some of my favorite personal photos I took of them....Clydesdales that is. Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, I remember the Monkeys. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:12 PM

    This is very fun. I was totally into Shaun Cassidy - of course, he turned out to live his father's life. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:48 PM

    I wasn't around during those years but that didn't stop me from developing a crush on Davey Jones when I saw Monkees reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:54 PM

    Bobby Sherman!!! OMG! Here Come the Brides... that stutter!
    Happy TT!
    My TTs (each different) are up at both The Eclectic Witch TT and Thorne's World TT Search terms

    ReplyDelete
  8. The guys from The Outsiders movie were my favorites, especially C. Thomas Howell and Rob Lowe. Gosh I was 13 when that came out, 1/3 the age I am now.

    Tabbikat's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear you and I have a psychic link of some kind. Yesterday at work, we were talking about how some of us were older than others and we dated ourselves by talking about the posters we had on our walls. Remember the David Cassidy poster where he was shirtless? The question I asked someone was, " Bobby Sherman or David Cassidy on your wall?"
    See what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I've heard of most of them, and my sister loved Donny Osmond and Elvis Presley. As for myself,there were hardly any female pop stars at the time (I can only think of Suzi Quatro and the girls from Abba), although on TV I remember liking Jaclyn Smith and Lindsay Wagner around the time, and I fell in love with Jane Fonda having seen her in Cat Ballou as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I always love the Beatles and even though Paul's old enough to be my father, he's on my list.

    My teen crushes...Ralph Maccio-The Karate Kid. OH! Then there was Rob Lowe and Johnny Depp (From 21 Jump Street) And the last two only got better with age!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:09 AM

    As I recall, it was Diana Rigg, in The Avengers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. David Cassidy. Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.