Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Idol Observation

Tonight Danny sang "Jesus, Take the Wheel." To cover a Carrie Underwood song on the Idol stage takes balls, and he delivered. I've never enjoyed Danny this much before.

Adam did a sitar-driven version of "Ring of Fire" that was bizarre but fun. If I were calling in, I'd vote for Adam. He sure as shit was original!

Anoop sang "Always on My Mind." No fair, that song always gets to me. Mentor Randy Travis said it was a risky song choice because he can't get Willie Nelson out of his mind. Not me. It's Elvis' version that's tattooed on my soul. Anoop isn't Elvis, but isn't that too much to expect? Anoop's version was dear and sweet.

The women were all completely forgettable, which doesn't make sense. It's country week, after all, and country music has such a rich history of kick-ass divas. One of this week's contestants even performed "Walkin' After Midnight" and all it inspired from me was a yawn (and a nod to her lip gloss, which was lovely).

Randy Travis is so gray! When did that happen?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know that I would vote for Adam, there's something about the performance that was creepy, I can't put my finger on it.

    I thought Randy Travis was a bit over-botoxed, at first I thought his lack of facial expression was trying to be stoic or kind, then I realized he couldn't move his face.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught the very end where they show quick clips of who sang what and I agree - the guys were, by far, much better than the chicks. My favorite was the last guy (the one who looks like Jason Mraz) who sang while playing piano (not Scott). I thought Adam did an interesting take on Ring of Fire - I didn't overly like it, but I'll give him big props for stepping out and daring to do it differently. (Shades of my COOKie!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked adams rendition too but I don't know, there is something about him I REALLY don't like! I feel like he isn't being authentic, I think his whole look is an act and it doesn't seem natural to him.
    is it just me?? I really loved alexis grace and am shocked and disappointed that she is gone already.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.