Friday, March 06, 2009

I hurt someone's feelings this morning

She said I embarrassed her during a meeting and treated her like she was stupid.

This surprised me, as she frequently doesn't sheathe her claws when she speaks to others, but that's not the point, is it?

I hurt someone's feelings this morning. She came in, closed my office door and confronted me. That must have been very hard for her to do.

Here is the email I sent in response. "I don’t think you’re stupid and my point was not to be condescending. I would not hurt your feelings for the world. Someday, when we’re not as upset, maybe we can talk about this further. But for now, please accept my apology."

I don't know what else to say, except that I feel shitty.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    You did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you wonder what's going on in her world, doesn't it? When people take something I say the wrong way I wonder what's up. You wrote a very nice apology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said. Sometimes, it's not really about what you did or said or even how you did or said it. It's about what's going on with them. That was the feeling I got right away when I read your post.

    I'm picking up that she knew that you'd "hear" her and that's why she came to you but I also don't think it was for the apology. I think it was for the comfort. (I'm not sure what this is about and it may be all crap but that's what I'm getting.)

    Bottom line: you were authentic and acted with integrity. YEY!! (I knew you would, that's how you roll!)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.