Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Vodka, chicken fingers and American Idol

Vodka and chicken fingers are not exactly a heart-healthy meal, especially for a pudgy middle-aged woman, like me, who missed her workout. However, I'm in a mood and it's what I want when I watch American Idol, and I am too sensitive, darling and compassionate to deny someone as adorably poignant as me anything. On the way home, I stopped at a popular dine-in/carry-out place.

At least it used to be popular. Tonight it was damn empty. There was just me, waiting for my yummy fingers, and (I suspect) a long-married couple sitting together, eating their meals in silence. Last time I was there, around Christmas, it was bustling. I couldn't read the menu specials board for the people milling around. Not tonight.

Worse, I can tell they're paring back. No more free chips for us to enjoy while we wait (which is OK, because I really didn't like them), no more bakery for dessert (just ice cream). It makes me sad.

I know I haven't been there in nearly two months because I'm economizing. Perhaps others in the neighborhood feel the same way. All this fiscal self-restraint must be hell on small businesses. I hope the stimulus package stimulates consumers in time.

2 comments:

  1. Today in sears, I noticed a lot of clearance items and the rest of the new stock spread widely and nobody buying. But salespeople were extremely helpful, the only good thing in this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Idol meal is pizza. Every Tuesday and I finish it Wednesday.

    ;-)

    Luckily, my favorite pizza place is holding on during the crunch.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.