Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Heads & Tails #18


This week's theme is "Share an Autumn Memory."

Four years ago at this time, I was about as miserable as I've ever been. I'd spent a year working on Senator John Kerry's Presidential campaign, and we know how that ended. My lovely and loving ragdoll kitty, Billy, was literally wasting away before my eyes. He was diagnosed with untreatable bone marrow cancer, and I had to make the difficult decision that pet owners always dread.

I was confused and heartbroken by Senator Kerry's loss. I missed Billy. It not only was getting dark earlier, it was raining all the time. My world was so oppressively dark and sad. It felt as though I'd never be happy again.

Then, as I was running across a busy street, en route to Walgreen's to buy something mundane and boring, like cotton swabs or maybe Nair, this song came through my headphones and it lifted my heart. It sounds happy, the lyrics are hopeful, and it brought back memories of a happier time. So now, this is my autumn song.

5 comments:

  1. Some songs have the power to do that. You don't just hear them, you consume them, they go straight into the psyche.
    This is why music and spirituality have always gone together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats nice how that song made your terrible time you had seem happy in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just from seeing the lyrics I am able to hear the song in my head. It blocks out the voices. LOL! Seriously though.. That is truly I feel good song and I'm glad you heard it just when you needed to.

    I'm so so sorry for the loss of your kitty. I know how long a loss like that can stay with you. It's like losing a piece of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I were listening tomusic this morning and the lyrics of many of them were very uplifting. It's been some time since we listened to music and we'd forgotten how powerful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to itunes to check this song out since I have a terrible memory for titles...Yea, flashback to disco balls and high school. It is a happy song and it's great when songs can evoke good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.