Friday, August 18, 2006

About a boy … or two … or three … or four

I have a weakness: I really like men. I think most of them are fascinating, even when I find them frustrating. These days, these specimens have been on my mind.

Brent.
He's 19, the oldest child of my lunatic older sister. Because he lives 2000 miles away and because he is the son of my lunatic older sister, I really have not had much, if anything, to do with him. Last time I saw him was (I think) in the summer of 2001. As I recall, he had no real interest in me then at all. So imagine my surprise when on Tuesday he called me as soon as he arrived for the Big Baptism. "Hi, Laurie. This is Brent. I want to have lunch with you tomorrow. What train and bus do I take?" Seems that now that he's almost an adult, beginning a new phase in his life (starting classes at the community college), he has decided to reach out to his rogue Aunt Laurie. Part of it was curiosity, part of it was to annoy his lunatic mother. Still, I was surprised that he did it and have to acknowledge that it was courageous of him. Both he and his younger sister, who came along for the ride, are attractive and literate. I was impressed. And sad, too. They really do hate their mother. I certainly understand it; all the best people hate their mother. But still, to think of those three unhappy people rattling around in that house together … it's sad. I gave both kids my email address, just in case they ever want to contact me again.

Ed. My former boss. We got together for dinner this week. He brought his daughter's college graduation photos, gave me an update on his health maladies, bragged about his wife's new-found professional success. He even had a little present for me -- a DVD similar to VH1's I Love the 70s. I left with a really good feeling. Ed's a good friend. When I was unemployed a few years ago, Ed made sure I had freelance work. He's one of those people who thinks about me every now and again, even if I no longer cross his path ever day. I am lucky to have friends like Ed.

My best friend. He is ensconced in his new job. You'd think that would mean I'd hear from him less. But, thankfully, it's just the opposite. Now that he has a routine again, we have a routine again. And while he has a new job, we're both still in the same industry, so we still have that in common. It's comfortable, natural. None of the stress of the conversations we had when we spoke less often. I wake up in the morning and I'm happier. When I was freaking out about all my family drama, he was very available to listen. I have my best friend back. We're still us.

Perry March. Poor SOB. He was convicted on all counts related to his wife's disappearance and death. Yet he was deprived of his day in the Court TV sun. From opening arguments, through prosecution and defense testimony, onto closing arguments and the beginning of the deliberation watch, Perry was the brightest daytime star on that cable tv channel. And then, Wednesday night, after 10 years, some skinny perv in Thailand admits to the JonBenet Ramsey slaying and steals all his thunder. I read that Perry is on death watch. No wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.