Sunday, October 15, 2017

Sunday Stealing

Questions to Ask Your Crush

1. What do you find hilarious, but most people don’t find funny? My favorite joke: "Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease. What are the odds?" Or the baseball equivalent: "Tommy John needed Tommy John surgery. What are the odds?" My friend John simply does not understand this joke and it annoys him.

2. What was the best year of your life so far? When I was 35. I was in love and felt sexy and womanly, and I was hitting my stride professionally.

3. What’s your favorite thing to do on the Internet? Farmville


4. What fad have you held on to even tho it isn’t popular any more? Farmville


5. What do you spend most of your time doing? Farmville


6. What do you spend way too much money on? Everything, it seems. (I bet you thought I'd say "Farmville," didn't you?)


7. What event, large or small, has changed the course of your life most? That moment in my 20s when I met the guy I spent too many years with. I made life and career decisions based on his happiness, and he simply wasn't worth it. I often wonder how my life would be different today if I'd taken the job as an admin/receptionist in a dental office, instead of the one that put me in his path.


8. Who do you have a hard time taking seriously? Myself


9. What do you judge people for most often? I'm intolerant of intolerance. Especially intolerant Christians. I'm a Christian, and when I hear politicians merchandising faith in exchange for votes, I want to remind them of the story of Jesus and the money changers. I can just imagine Him at last week's Values Voter summit, overturning the podium.


10. What was the most beautiful view you have ever experienced? Early one morning, I watched the sun rise over the Swiss Alps. The sun actually bathed the snowy mountains in pink. Amazing! 


11. What is something you read or heard that has stuck with you for a long time? JFK: Reckless Youth. There are a gazillion books about John Kennedy, and I've read most of them, but this one is different and really quite moving. It takes him from birth to age 35. There's family dysfunction, grave illness, lots of girls and women, dear friends and genuine heroism as he finds his voice along the way. The thing is -- to age 35 his life was difficult and painful. And he had little more than a decade left to live. Despite the money, the charm and the power, his was not a life any of us would want. I learned an important lesson: the way a life looks on the outside is no indication of how it feels on the inside.
 
12. What’s your favorite thing to shop for. Why? Books. Because they're books.


13. What’s the best compliment someone can receive? I try to be a good person. Any compliment in that regard is most appreciated.


14. What’s something people go on and on about and you just can’t stand sitting through? Game of Thrones


15. What’s something you can do that most people can’t? Roll my tongue. Wiggle my ear. (Jealous, aren't you?)

16. When was the last time you tried to look cool and ended in embarrassment? I'm old. Every time I try to look cool, it ends in embarrassment.


17. What is the most ridiculous rule you have to follow? At the auditorium where my movie group screens classic films, there is a ladies room labeled, "Children Only." So I have to pass it and use the commode all the way on the other side of the theater. Now on weekdays, the building houses a daycare center so I suppose the "Children Only" rule makes sense. But on Tuesday and Saturday nights, the youngest person there is 19. WHY? WHY CAN'T I GO IN THERE? PS I did sneak in once. No, the toilets and sinks aren't exceptionally close to the ground.


18. What country do you not know the location of, even though you should? Guyana. I can never remember where it is, so it's placement on the globe always surprises me.


19. What do you have a hard time with but most people find quite easy? Math.


20. What’s the most impressive skill you have? It's a tie between ear wiggling and tongue rolling.




7 comments:

  1. Lou Gehrig...that right there is funny!
    Don't you love when life all comes together and you have that sense of being 10 feet tall and bullet proof? We women cheat ourselves of that confidence too often.
    Ugh, Farmville. I had to walk away because I felt actual guilt and remorse if my crops or animals died. I was becoming OCD in my need to get on there and make sure everything was fed, watered, and harvested.
    Agreed on #9...many "Christians" forget or don't know that we aren't to judge the world or hold it to our standards because they are not saved. We are only to hold each other, who call ourselves Christians and proclaim things in Christ's name, accountable to living as Jesus taught. I think, too, that part of it is that while we are told to hate the sin and love the sinner...many are unsure of how to go about that and fearful that showing love is the same as showing acceptance or support of the sin. I try to explain that it's like being a parent. Your child may do something you don't agree with, but you don't stop loving them or start belittling them or telling them they're going to hell. If we show love, mercy, and grace (just like God showed each one of us), they will be introduced to Jesus through our lives and hopefully come to want to know him on their own...at which time they will ask us and be receptive to learning what the Bible says. What anyone does after that point is between them and God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can roll my tongue but you have me beat. I can’t wiggle my ears!
    I also liked FarmVille and hated giving up my farm! But can’t deal with Facebook.
    There was a “what would Jesus do?” Movement some time ago, and yes, Jesus would throw their sorry butts out of the place mentioned above, and beat them with a scourge on the way out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We answered several questions the same. I can wiggle my ears and roll my tongue too. Loved your answer of Game of Thrones (never could get into it) #12 is almost identical to my answer. And now you have me intrigued by that JFK book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I also didn't realize Farmville was still around! I haven't seen it in years)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmville--oh, how I loved my farm. But I didn't like how they kept changing the challenges and monetizing the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would just use that children's bathroom. What are they going to do, give you a ticket for peeing in the wrong toilet? Yikes.

    I used to play Farmville. Or maybe it was Farmtown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not played Farmville in a long time. I did not realize it was still around.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.