Sunday, October 22, 2023

Sunday Stealing

Stolen from League of  Extraordinary PenPals

1. October reading & writing goals and plans: I don't have any such goals, which is a good thing since October has just a week to go and I'd be unlikely to hit them now.

2. Something I did that totally paid off: I sent a personal letter to a prospective employer (see post below).

3. I want to see this make a comeback: Cash. I feel so sorry for the server when I dine out with friends and everyone wants a separate check. That's why I bring cash (including singles) and wish my friends did the same.

4. Generational traits I really value: Having worked in a multi-generational workplace and (hopefully) doing so again, I know that attitudes toward the job are different. I'm generalizing, of course, but Boomers compete over who can do it faster so we can do more, while Millennials want to do an effective, efficient job so we can get outta here. I just interviewed for a job and prospective employer said her first requirement of me is that I "be kind." Trust me, that was never a Boomer top priority. For bosses of my generation, it would be: How well do you handle stress? How eager are you to take on more responsibility? I can see that both approaches have benefits, but I value the work-life balance and humanity Millennials espouse.

5. Changes I’d like to see in my daily environment: I'd like more structure to my days. When I first retired, taking impromptu afternoon naps felt delightful. Now they feel rather indulgent. I want to look back on my day and feel like I've accomplished more. (But alas, I am undisciplined.)

6. Favorite soup dishes: I like basic soups, like chicken noodle and clam chowder.

7. Start with the best part, or save the best for last: What are we talking about here? If it's a book or movie, I think the most effective structure is to have the climax near the end but not the very last. If it's a meal, I guess it's how you define the best part. I'm not sure dessert is always the best part.

8. The most chaotic part of my daily life: Breakfast with these two. No cats have ever been as hungry as they are in the morning.


9. If I could only eat 10 things, I’d pick: Thin crust pizza, cheeseburgers, breaded shrimp, oatmeal, yogurt, cinnamon applesauce, mashed potatoes, coffee cake, chocolate chip cookies, ham and cheese omelette.

10. What Autumn feels like where I live: Cool, crisp, happy

11. The teacher who would be most proud of me: Mrs. Rath. Junior high. She worried that I was pretending to have a smaller vocabulary and less knowledge of current affairs than I did so that I'd more easily fit in with the other girls. She was right, of course.

12. My go to Halloween snacks & treats: If Trick or Treaters come to the door, they're getting a fistful of individually wrapped Life Savers. If they don't, said Life Savers will go into my purse and jacket pockets.

13. 10 ways my life is great right now: I'm so proud (and relieved) Joe Biden is President right now, A Hard Day's Night is on TCM, my cats are healthy and happy, I likely have a part-time job, but I don't need a part-time job, my buddy John has evolved into a more sensitive friend, I've got a nice little road trip with Elaine this week to look forward to, I'm pretty healthy, it's sunny today, I think our new minister is going to work out just fine.

14. A perfect day indoors looks like… A long shower with good tunes on the shower radio, a good movie or ballgame on the telly, a chapter or two of a good book, time with a friend 

15. Pumpkin spice… is a welcome addition to my oatmeal.



6 comments:

  1. #4 interests me. I'm hyper--aware of the generational traits of my students and younger colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs PM takes an afternoon nap every day - and she works. She reards it as a necessity rather than an indulgence. I would say, enjoy them.
    #8. That made me laugh because it is the same with my two cats. In the morning they are so insistent anyone would think that they have been starved for days.
    Joe Biden is far better than the alternative - but he looks really old now. I'm amazed he is going to stand again. Please don't unleash Trump on the world again...
    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have not my cat Midnight. NO cat has ever been as food-aggressive, and I've had felines for 60 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely misread #4. I did not read it as the Boomer, Millennial thing, but rather as the generations that preceded me, my parents, grandparents, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a staff retreat last week and we actually took time to compare how different generations view the workplace and the work itself. Also, this is evidently the first time in history where there have been five generations of people working together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your "ways my life is great" list!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.