Wednesday, October 03, 2018

How I love my guys!

Baseball season is over in Chicago. Earlier than I would have liked, of course. But last night was still glorious.

It came down to this: a one-and-done playoff game with the Colorado Rockies.

•  13 innings.
•  Just minutes shy of 5 hours.
•  The longest Wild Card game in MLB history.
•  The longest plauoff game ever played in Wrigley Field!

There was a ground rule double, with the ball lost in the ivy.

The Cubs went though 9 pitchers -- 3 of them starters in a relief role -- and it got to the point where I was wondering; "Even if we win and advance to the next round, who will be ready to pitch on Thursday?"

Pedro Strop returned from the DL to strike out two and get us out of a jam.

And, most unlikely, Javier Baez caused controversy by hugging Nolan Arenado after Arenado tagged him out. Why is this controversial, you ask? Isn't it a sign of good sportsmanship? Well, not if the ball is still in play. Did Javy mean to commit interference? Ask Javy!

So it was the damndest game. A real thrill ride.

Farewell and thank you, fellas. Go home, relax and heal. I can't wait to see you again in the spring.

1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.