Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Thursday Thirteen #472


Conserving energy. After a certain segment of our population lost their shit when Mayor Mamdani suggested New Yorkers set their thermostats to 78º, using too much power has somehow become an emblem of "freedom." I think that attitude makes you a selfish neighbor who cares more about faux outrage than about anyone else's comfort, but hey, you do you.

I've got a pair of "power stations" (aka teeny-tiny generators) ready to use but I haven't lost power once yet during the summer heat and storms. I'm grateful, and in that spirit I spun around the internet looking for ... 

13 ways to save electricity

1. Turn off lights when you leave the room.

2. Take shorter showers so you use your water heater less.

3. Don't charge your devices overnight, instead keep an eye on them unplug the charger when your phone or laptop hits 100%.

4. Tumble dry your clothes or, even better, let them air dry.

5. Use ceiling fans to circulate the air conditioned air.

6. Consider installing solar panels, and check to see if your municipality offers rebates for this.

7. When cooking on a stovetop, cover your pans. Lids can minimize heat loss, shorten cooking time and help keep your kitchen cooler.

8. Clean your refrigerator's condenser coils. 

9. Don't overload your freezer, because air needs to circulate through the unit if it's to run efficiently. 

10. Unplug home office equipment you don't use constantly. Example: printers and shredders often use power even when they aren't in use.

11. Draw the blinds and keep them closed all day.

12. Go old school and use battery-operated alarm clocks and radios.

13. Don't be an ass. Set your thermostat to 78º.

How about you? Can you add any I've forgotten? 

Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.