Thursday, September 10, 2026

When I wander

Tuesday my friend Gregory and I spent a lovely day at The Chicago History Museum. I enjoy this museum but the real reason for the outing was Gregory. He and I were both satellites who orbited around John, and since John died in 2025 I've been afraid of losing Gregory, too, so these get togethers are important to me. 

I got to the Museum about 20 minutes before Gregory and I used the time to stroll the grounds. I think this is what I like best about retirement – I take the time to notice and appreciate the stuff that's always been there but I was in too big a hurry to see.

THE FOUNTAIN 

I just happened to be sitting there when the Chicago Park District guy came to service it. I was amazed to discover that he does this not by touching the fountain itself at all, but by going down a hole several feet away.


 
Down he went

 

And the water stops!

 

THE PATH

The Jaffe History Trail runs behind the Museum. As I meandered among the trees and plants that are native to Chicagoland, I soon found myself with one of my favorite people of all time, Mr. Lincoln. That's the great thing about living in Illinois: You're never far from a reminder of Abe. 


 

 

It's called Lincoln: The Man

 

Hello, Mr. Lincoln

I know people live elsewhere and I'm sure they're happy. But I really think I'd have a hard time living anywhere else. We have four seasons. We have parks peacefully waiting for us just off the busiest streets. We have museums and theaters and ballparks. We sit on a Great Lake. I'd miss it all.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.