Saturday, August 01, 2026

August Happiness Challenge: Day 1

My 2026 Happiness Icon

Today's Happiness: Love in the air. I had lunch today with my nephew and his lady friend. They were telling me about their evenings "at home" playing cards and she admitted she was the more competitive of the two and found it frustrating how easily he won. Then she said, "But I love him." Out loud, just like that!
 
When she got up to move her car, leaving us alone for a moment, I asked him, "So are you two shacking up?" He rather shyly told me he was in the process of moving in. Her lease expired yesterday and she took the larger apartment literally across the hall, so there's no real rush. They jointly invited me for pizza next month, when they are moved in and settled.
 
This is huge. She is the first serious girlfriend he's had since high school. I like her and the influence she has had on him. Years ago, when he was entering college, he couldn't decide between being a history teacher and being a staffer for a politician. Unfortunately the crudeness and intentional cruelty of MAGA had turned him off politics (just another ugly thing Donald Trump will be judged upon by historians and God). That's when he picked up sports journalism and, while he has enjoyed it, it's never going to be a real career for him. Here he is, in his mid-20s, living in his old bedroom in his parents' house. Since he works remotely, he's never had to commute to work. Or pay rent or a utility bill. 
 
She's helped him reignite his interest in public service. He's pursuing a career in teaching and is considering special education as his specialty. He's now part of a couple – she went on vacation with his parents last month and endures me on a monthly basis, he has begun socializing with her friends.
 
Is this forever? Do I think they'll marry? Oh, who cares? They're in love now. And I'll always be grateful to her for her helping him evolve, for taking him back to the future, back to the teenager who wanted to share his passion for American history with others.
 
I love my nephew very much, so this makes me happy, too. 

Happy August Happiness Challenge!
 
Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.