Tuesday, September 29, 2026

WWW.WEDNESDAY

 

 WWW. WEDNESDAY asks three questions to prompt you to speak bookishly. To participate, and to see how other book lovers responded, click here. 

PS I no longer participate in WWW.WEDNESDAY via that link because her blog won't accept Blogger comments. I mention this only to save you the frustration I experienced trying to link up.

1. What are you currently reading? Bill Clinton: Mastering the Presidency by Nigel Hamilton. I am a Clintonista. I worked on both of Bill's presidential campaigns and am proud of it. Eight years of peace. Eight years of that economic rising tide lifting all ships. He was a Washington outsider, still just in his 40s. A Baby Boomer taking over the mantle from two WWII-era Republicans. This was going to be our time.

 

I forgot how exciting and messy – incredibly messy – the beginning of his first term was. As I read this book, it all comes back. Nigel Hamilton is a Brit with a talent for writing about American Presidents. His JFK: Reckless Youth is not only my favorite Kennedy book, it's one of my favorite books ever. But Hamilton doesn't do hagiography. I know I'm going to read some less than flattering accounts in this book and that's fine. I want to learn, not adore.

 

2. What did you recently finish reading?  50 Movie Nights by Dave Karger.   The TCM host asked 50 celebrities to name the movie they would recommend for a movie night. It had to be a movie that touched them in some way and made a lasting impression. Their responses surprised and delighted me.

 

CNN's Anderson Cooper chose Apocalypse Now because after he saw it as a kid, he wanted to travel up the river with those men and tell their stories. Ty Burrell chose the Pink Panther and explained how his lifelong love of Inspector Clousseau influenced his portrayal of the lovable goof Phil Dunphy on Modern Family. Now I'm not a big fan of either of those movies, but I loved those stories. I loved all 50 stories. There is affection on every page of this book, and it has given me new movies to look for and familiar movies to rewatch through fresh eyes. 

 

PS So many of these movie memories revolve around going to Blockbuster and perusing the aisles. I didn't realize how much I miss that experience. Streaming curates and makes recommendations based on my viewing habits, which is super convenient, but I miss being able to go exploring.

 

3. What will you read next? I don't know.

 

  

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, going to the rental store was an event! We'd peruse for a long time and argue the merits of one genre over another, and look for hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.