Saturday 9: Devil in the Bottle (1974)
Unfamiliar
with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song begins with T. G. Sheppard taking off his shoes to slip into the house with disturbing his sleeping wife. Are you wearing shoes as you answer these questions? No. I'm barefootin' around the house.
2) His wife hears him anyway. Are you a light sleeper? Kinda sorta. I live near train tracks and a busy street and those sounds I snooze through. But let one of my cats knock my hairbrush off the sink and I'm up.
3) This is the first of 22 consecutive #1 hits for T. G. Sheppard. Not bad for a high school dropout. What's the last year of education that you completed? 12th grade. I took a half-hearted stab at community college a couple times but was easily distracted.
.jpg) |
| Look! A squirrel! |
4) He was born William Browder and chose the stage name T. G. Sheppard just because he liked the sound of it. He says "T. G." doesn't stand for anything, and he gets a kick out of fans who insist there's some secret meaning behind the initials. Since most of us didn't choose our names: Is there a story behind your name? Did your parents tell you why they chose it? (If you did choose your name, share what influenced your decision.) My mom always liked my first name. She also disliked my dad's aunt, who had the same name, so my mom chose a different spelling. She didn't want that woman to think I was named for her. (I'm told I met my non-namesake once, but I don't recall it.)
5) It was after hours at a Memphis roller rink when he first met Elvis and his entourage. As T. G. was leaving, Elvis was entering and asked if he wanted to stay and skate longer. T. G. was confused because he knew the place was closing for the night. "Not for me," Elvis replied and T. G. skated with Elvis and his buddies until dawn. Are you good on roller skates? No. I am the clumsiest human you will ever meet.
6) T. G. loves NASCAR and was an associate sponsor of the Folgers Chevrolet. He enjoyed the collaboration with the coffee company and has performed the familiar jingle – "the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup" – in concert. Are you loyal to a particular coffee brand? No. I don't drink coffee.
7) T. G. understands the lifestyle of his fans. That's why he named his live country music venue Guitars and Cadillacs. If you were going to name a business after two of your favorite things, what would you call it? Cubs and Cats.
8) In 1974, when this week's song was on the country charts, Linda Ronstadt was getting a lot of radio airplay with "You're No Good." That song is about a real cad. Let's turn that around: Who is the nicest person you know? My former boss, CeeCee. She has a smile and a hug for everyone, and always emphasized to our team that we be kind to one another.
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read? I don't recall. Maybe? But this question has that wonderful old song going through my head. "Much More" is from the musical The Fantasticks.
"I'd like to swim in a clear blue stream where the water is icy cold,
Then go to town in a golden gown and have my fortune told,
Just once, just once, just once before I'm old ..."
I love Cubs and cats. What a cute name. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Cubs and Cats has a nice ring to it
ReplyDelete