Today's Happiness: Responsible people. Friday after work I stopped at an Italian restaurant and got a chicken parm sandwich to go. I tried to tap with my card but it didn't work so the owner took my card and inserted it into the reader. Then we got talking and I forgot my card on the counter.
Hours later, when I was switching purses for the Saturday ballgame, I noticed my card was gone. I started to freak out and then I remembered I knew where it (probably) was. I called just as they were closing. The bus boy answered the phone and asked me lots of questions (where exactly did I leave it, what color is it, is it Visa or Mastercard, etc.) before he would even confirm they had my card. When he was satisfied that I was really the cardholder, he told me to come in Saturday morning at 11:00 when they open.
I told him I couldn't – I'm going to the game! – and asked if they could hold it for me until today (Sunday).
When I showed up today, it was the owner who was at the register. Even though he recognized me, he asked me to spell the last name on the card before he would pop open the register and hand it over.*
I am happy I don't have to worry about fraudulent charges on my card. The staff at this little Italian restaurant treated it as though it was the Hope Diamond.
Happy August Happiness Challenge!
*I go here often, usually once/week. The owner said that, since I usually pay cash, he didn't know this was my name.


The beauty of community!
ReplyDeleteI'm always pleasantly surprised when anyone does what they are supposed to...like ask for ID if the card isn't signed. Hardly anyone ever does that. It's rare that someone even looks at it.
ReplyDelete